So hurricane Sandy is trolling the East Coast looking to do some damage.
I’ve compiled (and while I have power, will continue to update) a list of links I’m using to watch the storm. If you have others, send them to me @HandyNerds Thanks!
- Google’s Crisis Map
- Intellicast radar with excellent overlays
- Maryland Traffic Cams (to see if roads are flooded over)
- Satellite imagery (from NOAA goes satellites)
- The National Weather Service’s page for Sandy
- National Weather Service Watches/Warnings/Advisories for the WDC area
- Little known, but an AMAZING product, the Fairfax Community Emergency Alert Network
- So this is specific to Annandale, but each WFO has these, the graphical forecast is GREAT at giving you an over all picture, and timing of things.
- Fairfax County realtime road closure map
What can I be doing right now?
- Fill a bathtub with water. This can be used to flush toilets and such in the event of a loss of water pressure.
- Fill empty plastic containers with water for drinking and cooking.
- Make sure you have charcoal or gas for your grills, depending on which you have.
- Prepare some food items that do not require re-heating or refrigeration. Some I like are baked/broiled chicken, fried spam, rice, fried chicken, breads, etc..
- Fill an ice chest with ice while you still have the ability to make ice.
- Get your emergency light sources (flashlights, lanterns, etc. ) all together and test them. Know where they are and how to find them in dark/low light conditions.
- Got a deck, move things so they are safe, or tied down.
- Make sure your drainage systems are functioning properly and not clogged.
Uh Oh, things aren’t going well..